Friday, January 10, 2014

Jermain Defoe Officially Completes Transfer to Toronto FC from Tottenham









Toronto FC have completed a huge move to bring Tottenham forward Jermain Defoe to Major League Soccer in a deal that takes effect on Feb. 28.

The official Tottenham Hotspur Twitter account announced the news on Friday morning:

Spurs' official website provided Defoe's views on his move:


Everybody knows how much this club means to me and I will play my heart out for the team and the fans until my last kick for the club. I have had a fantastic time here and the fans have always been amazing to me.

I am grateful for the opportunity for myself and my family to experience living overseas and for me to play in the MLS with a contract that will take me to the age of 35. I have no doubt I shall be coming back as a fan supporting the team in the years to come too.

Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated previously reported that a deal was close, but the transfer was put in some doubt thanks to a host of top-class competition, per James Dickenson of the Express.

Defoe has been with Tottenham since coming over from West Ham United in the 2003-04 season. He spent the next 10 seasons contributing at a high level for the Spurs attack.



No comments:

Post a Comment